Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Final Countdown.

Once we got back into Nairobi, I left Elissa to jet back to the Bush camp to switch my things while she got us bus tickets to Mombassa. I hung out for a bit, then we caught the overnight bus at ten p.m. The seats were comfy enough, but we got the last to spaces, so we were in the back and the roads are terribly bumpy, like, so bumpy you literally fly out of your seat. Needless to say, it was difficult to get a proper amout of shut-eye. We took a matatu to a ferry and then another matatu and then a Tuk Tuk to get to The Glory Palace Hotel, which is off of Diani Beach. It was $15 total for a double room, including breakfast and our own bathroom. There was even a pool! I spent four days unwinding by lying by the pool, heading down to the beach to sit at the 40 Thieves Restaurant and bar along the crashing waves, reading some books, and eating Mangos. It was perfect.

I headed back to Nairobi to pick up some last minute gifts and have one last night why my loves at the Bush Hostel and Camp before flying out on July 23rd, a solid ten months from my departure date. Wow. I flew into London and had a 19-hour layover where I stayed with Tania, who I had met in Goa, India, and her beautiful family. It was phenomenal to catch up with her and meet her daughters and husband. She sent me off to my flight the next day back to Boston. AHHHH. Bry Riggs was waiting for me at the airport with an “I Love Kelly” button on her shirt. lol. We were chatting non-stop on the way back to the Park Plaza Hotel where my parents and uncle were waiting for me. My mom started crying the minute she saw me across the lobby. We all embraced for the first time in over a year—I cannot describe how amazing it is to see your friends and family after such a long time along. My mom and dad were wearing shirts that had screen printed pictures of my face on them. The front had a picture of me running from the Khon Kaen race and it said “5 continents, 5 marathons” and on the back there was a picture of me at Kala Pattar with Everest in the background saying “and hiked to the base camp of Mt. Everest. Kelly, you rock!!” hahahaha I love my family. It’s good to be home.

1 comment:

RunawayTay said...

Rock on, "sole" sister!! Kate and I have also found that the best way to experience the world, and get to know ourselves, is by lacing up our running shoes and hitting the road. That's why we started writing the "Running the World", and that's what our first book, "A Runner's Guide to Europe" is all about. It's also about giving runners the tools and information they need to have great runs, and transformational experiences, like yours!