Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My new favorite city

Buenos Aires, Argentina; oh how I wish I had more than three days here!  I arrived at about 8:00 am and took a very expensive cab ride to a hostel in Palermo ( a trendy neighborhood of Buenos Aires where Erin Kelly told me to stay--thanks, lady) called Palermo House.  Being that I didn't have a reservation, I ended up waiting until around four PM. for a bed.  Sounds annoying, but I had a lot of picture uploading, for your pleasure, being that my computer works again--HORRAY!  I met a guy in the hotel from Sweden, Johan, who was very hungover--I helped him recuperate the best way I know how, to start drinking again:)  We drank a few bottles of the local beer, Quilmes while hanging out and socializing with the other kids in the hostel.  An Irish girl, Mazy, knew some people that owned a local bar; I went with her and a guy from Wisconsin that works at the hostel, Simms for some food and adult beverages.  The atmosphere was really cool, very dark, red lights, and exposed brick everywhere.  At about 11 pm I went back to the hostel and passed out.  

I got up at around 8:30 and went for an 9-10 mile run around the parks.  So many people were out running, roller-blading, biking, dog walking--it was amazing.  I am so moved by a city that is so positively active and social--I couldn't help but smile the whole time and say "hola" to people I ran past.  

When I got back, some girls from the hostel were going to some open air markets in Recoletta and asked me to come along.  It was such a beautiful day; warm and sunny.  Then, I went to the Recoletta cemetary where Eva Peron is burried (think Evita)- it looks like a small town.  Every grave is a large intricate statue with figurines and stained glass windows that are in rows like sreets.  Then I walked back through the city, about an hour, where I met up with two other girls to go to dinner at a fancy restaurant called Sugar--Martinis, wine, and STEAK (Argentina is known for their delicious beef).  We went back to the hostel and all drank for a while and then went to  nearby rooftop house party with about fifteen other people.  We stayed up until maybe 5 am (which is actually early to stop partying in BA).  

I spent my last day in Buenos Aires wondering around a giant market in San Telmo; there are hundred of stands, street performers, food, and dancers--my favorite was a group with three violins, one viola, a bass, one piano, and four accordions, they were amazing!

FOOD CORNER

I didn't consume anything strange, but my steak was TO-DIE-FOR.  Medium rare to perfection, and so tender I could have cut it with a fork!

Taste: 5+++++
Aftertaste: 1

AKWARD MOMENT

The night we all went to the rooftop party, I passed out on the couch in the common room.  I was told in the morning that when they tried to wake me up and put me to bed I kept saying "no, I don't trust the guys that work here."  I have no recollection of this and actually felt very safe in the hostel;  I'm not quite sure what I was dreaming about but the whole thing was pretty...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are on crazy bitch!!! glad you loved BA so much.

Unknown said...

Isn't Buenos Aires incredible? I am very jealous of your steak dinner. I was very sick the whole time I was in Argentina and had to watch everyone else eat amazing $2 steaks while I had bread and water :(