Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Lazy Lady writes again!

Ok...so it's been a while...and I'm sorry. 

 I'm going to try and recall everything entertaining I've been doing in the last three weeks in some shorter blogs to try and catch up My computer stopped working when I went into the Amazon Jungle (story to come), and I've been taking a lot of short trips and long bus rides.  Now, I am finally in a solid destination for the next 8 weeks, here in the beautiful country of New Zealand, and my computer has resurrected itself from the dead, so I shall commence correspondence.

First off, Cotopaxi!
I took myself on a little day trip to hike the world's highest active volcano, Cotopaxi, which is a few hours bus ride outside of Quito.  And by hike, I mean be driven up part way, walk a little, then get picked up again...

I got on a bus at about 8:00 am to go to the volcano.  Now, I really had no idea where I was going or what I was doing, however, I got on the correct bus and told the driver where I needed to get off in hopes that he wouldn't pass over my stop.  After passing out on the bus for a little while, I woke up disoriented and not quite sure where I was or where I needed to be.  Within minutes an Ecuadorian man behind me tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I was going to Cotopaxi.  I, of course, said yes and asked him if he knew bc I was the only blonde/American on the bus....he laughed and said yes and then made sure I was let off at the right spot.  Thanks, stranger!

I got a little swindled by the shanty that I presumed to be the entrance.  My spanish only gets me so far, but I knew going in that I had to pay to get into the park.  One guy drove me up and I ended up having to pay him and the entrance fee.  I was frustrated so I told him I wanted get out and walk.  After saying this a few times, I finally got my way.  I walked along some valleys and through some paths, trying to find a Lagoon.  After walking a few hours and finding nothing I started to get rained on.  A little while later another car came by with an Israeli couple in it; they asked me if I wanted a ride to the top and I decided that, being that I wasn't properly dressed for poor weather by any means, I might as well get in.  

Good thing too, because that Lagoon was yet another 15 minutes of driving.  Plus, being that I was getting a ride, I actually got to see SNOW!  We drove as far up as possible to a refugee camp.  This is where people usually stay for the night before they attempt to hike to the summit.  Being that I only had this one day to hike, I had to take the lazy man's trip, but I'm so glad I did!!  The Israeli couple was amazing.  We all worked together to find a bus to get back to Quito and they even paid for my taxi cab ride home.  The mother was very concerned for my safety as a solo traveler, but said that she had two kids doing the same thing and understood why I was on this trip.  It was nice to have some parental figures around for a few hours.

AKWARD MOMENT
After we got on the bus back to Quito, we found out that there were no open seats.  I don't really mind standing, but the Israeli couple wanted to sit so two men got up and gave them their seats (such gentlemen).  Then, the co-driver (the other bus employee that takes fares and gets people on and off the bus) told me that there was a seat in the front.  Little did I know, he was having me sit on a bench awkwardly between him and the driver.  This is a piece of wood with a blanket placed over it, no arm rest, no seat belt, not even something for me to rest my back against.   Then, my favorite part of every conversation with South American men....
Do you have a boyfriend?
umm...yes
Where is he?
He's...um...in the hostel...I like my alone time
How do you like Ecuadorian men?
Well, I think you're all very aggressive
YEAH!  (High five)
                ....I personally didn't mean that as a good thing, but then I pretended like I was falling asleep because the entire situation was very.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aww..I love reading your travel adventures...They always have me laughing! What GREAT experiences! I look forward to your new posts! Be Safe!