Monday, February 23, 2009

Going out with a Bang(kok)

The day after seeing the Angkor Wat temples, I left early in the morning to get back to Bangkok. Luckily, the ride back is significantly easier, faster, cheaper, and less stressful than getting into Cambodia. This time, I stayed right off of Khao San road which is the party/tourist/Cancun-like area of Bangkok. I checked into some random cheap place and took off in order to find Lilly and Katie. It took no time at all to find them; we ate some dinner and went on to a little drinking and the highlight of the evening...a Ping Pong show--nothing like what you've seen on Forrest Gump. These ladies do something a little more interesting with the little white plastic balls. All along Pad Pong (an area with a night market off of Silom Road) there are bars with a few naked girls on stage doing tricks with their lady parts--and it all starts with the famous ping pong ball.

WARNING: I'm going to get mildly graphic here, so children under the age of 18 should probably not read this part:)

A woman sits on stage naked and, ahem, open, and proceeds to shoot ping pong balls at the audience--we're talking long distance here. Like, I was at least 20 feet from her and she almost pegged me in the face. Luckily, thanks to all of my years of competitive athletics, I have quick reflexes, because otherwise I just may have vomited. Other such tricks included, but were not limited to, using chipsticks to pick up rings and place them on the neck of a bottle, pulling out a long string of razor blades (and then cut up a piece of paper to show that they are real), and smoking a CIGAR (brings a whole new meaning to lip cancer ). I'm not quite sure why this is a favorite dirty past time of the Thai, or maybe it was something crazy that they made up because they knew tourists would pounce...either way, I'm happy to say I've been there, but I don't think I'd jump at the chance if it re-presented itself. What a way to finish my time in Thailand.

No comments: