Sunday, January 11, 2009

To Krabi to Bangkok

Camillo, originally from Chile but living in Sweden, went with me to buy bus tickets to Krabi in the morning. It took us about an hour and a half each way via the Skytrain and a cab because the traffic is insane! We decided the following afternoon to take the local bus. Luckily, we left extremely early because it took us two and a half hours and we had five minutes to spare before the bus left! A Thai man on the bus helped us get there in time by basically running us to the gate. We got on the 12 hour ride, no problem, and slept most of the way. A movie dubbed in Thai was playing when we started the trip and when I woke up a few hours later, there was Thai music video karaoke—if only I could read it! We arrived at 5:30 in the morning on January 8th and we sat in the tourist office /restaurant until his bus came for Ko Lanta and Mine for Phi Phi (pronounced pee pee) island. I took an hour and a half long ferry ride to paradise. Every day here feels like a beach day—clear sunny skies and 90 degree weather! The beaches are filled with soft white sand and have gorgeous clear blue water.

I wasn’t quite sure where the hostel was, but I heard a British guy behind me say something about the last time he was here, so I asked if he knew where the Rock Hostel was being that I had no clue and every travel agent I talked to pretended they had no idea what it was and tried to book me into a resort. They were heading to the same place, so I followed and we got the last four dorm beds. We immediately went to the beach and sat there soaking up the sun and Singha beer for the rest of the day. After a while I looked down to see bright red arms—ugh. Everyone back at the hostel commented on my new hue. I ended up just going out to eat with a small group then chatting and going to bed even thought everyone was going out because this is a big party island. Today, I sat in the shade reading all day. I sat with a Norweigen guy, Andrew, for about two hours that morning for breakfast chatting about our lives. That night I worked at an Irish bar handing out a few fliers for free drinks and 300 Baht (maybe 8 dollars). I met a group of New Zealanders and ended up staying out with them until 4 in the morning. The next day, I got up early and Andrew and I went on an all day snorkeling trip around the island. We went to Monkey bay where there are a bunch of small friendly monkeys that people feed them bananas. I got a really good close up of one right before he lunged to try and steal my camera. I screamed and ran away like a girl and from then on out kept my distance. The water is so warm and the fish swim all around you. They have brilliant colors, some of which are neon like the Atomic Skis from the 90’s. We went to Maya Bay, which is where “the Beach” was filmed, and had lunch on the beach. We saw a few more sights before heading back during sunset. That night there was a full moon and a party on the beach to celebrate. I bar hopped with a few guys from the hostel for a while before we went there. Some big English guy was trying to tell me that he could shake his chest and butt better than me…umm no…do you see the size of these? I win by default ☺

The next day I was so hung-over (sorry Mom, it happens). I didn’t get out of bed until 1 and ended up blogging all day. This is why I don’t go out too much when I’m traveling. I like to do things with my day and not feel like a waste of painful space ☺

No comments: