Friday, December 19, 2008

Takin' over Tokyo


Konichiwa!

I've been in Japan for four days and I think I am finally getting the hang of this country. I got really comfortable and extremely lazy in New Zealand where everyone was accommodating and spoke English. There really aren't many people here that I can communicate with; I've resorted to smiling, pointing, and bowing. Though I do know a few Japanese words, it's hardly enough to get me from A to B. This has resulted in lots of wondering circles, due to my FABULOUS sense of direction. That's fine with me, though, because this place is SO large and there's so much to see on every street and alley way and in every direction--right, left, up, down...everywhere. I seriously feel like I'm on mushrooms (not that I am...or know what that's like...or...don't do drugs, kids) because I find myself sitting and staring at the smallest things due to noises or blinking lights. This isn't just me being easily distracted, either, because no matter where you turn there is audio and visual stimulation.

Ok; backtrack!

After a three hour nap, I achieved the impossible--I hitchhiked from Queenstown, NZ (South island) to Wellington (Southern tip of the North island) in one day. This, in total, is about a 10 hour straight drive and a three hour ferry ride. Being that I am, well, slightly amazing, I had no problem accomplishing this. I started out with an Australian couple that was jetting to Christchurch in order to catch a flight (5-6 hour drive). After that, I caught a few short rides, one of which was with two men and two poodles who lectured me on the safety of hitchhiking. After about 5 minutes I was offered a beer by the passenger and when I got out ten minutes later I realized the driver had a Corona in his lap, as well. Thank God I didn't ride with them longer! After leaving the Inebriated car, I was picked up by the most adorable older gentleman, Graeme Kerr, who lives in Picton which just so happens to be the tiny town where I pick up the Ferry. I slept on the floor of the boat and crashed at a hostel in Wellington for a few hours until it was a safe time to hitch, again!

I did something I said I would never do. I accepted a ride from a trucker. I know, I know, silly. However, I was trying to carry my bag up a massive hill; with no good spot to stand in sight, I figured he was my best bet. He drove me up and over to the closest gas station so he could stop and get lunch and I would have a better chance at a ride. Safe and sound. Phew. A few rides later, a 21 year old local girl picked me up and brought me all the way to Lake Taupo (about a three hour ride) where I wanted to stay for a night. The weather was absolutely beautiful, so we ended up hanging out and lying along the water for a little while. That night, I met three British boys who took me out for my birthday. A little drinking, nothing too crazy. We did break into a McDonald's playground at 2 am, however, I can't resist slides! The next day I got the rest of the way to Raglan where I stayed for a few days with friends until I needed to get to the Auckland airport. I met Jess Weller, a local New Zealander, who brought me all the way to the Airport--we are now Facebook friends :) I got to the airport at four pm, thought my flight wasn't until nine the next morning. I spent my time updating this blog, taking care of errands, and, of course, sleeping.

When I got off of the plane (a ten and a half hour flight filled with five movies and two incredibly filling meals), I had no idea what i was doing. I only wrote down enough directions to get me through the metro system but never had time to download the local map. A Japanese guy took it upon himself to be my guide throughout the subway since I was obviously standing there looking really confused and spinning in circles. He even got off of the train with me to help ask for directions and a map to get me to my hostel! After that, I got lost, again, because few streets are labeled and every road twists and turns over one other. An older Japanese gentleman started talking to me, all of which I could not understand, and had me follow him. I kept saying that I didn't understand but he just kept waving for me to follow and brought me to my hostel! Amazing! I have found that a lot here, that people will lead you to your destination even if it is not along their route. Also, they will continue talking to you in conversational Japanese even though it is obvious that there is no comprehension.

The next day I wondered around Asakusa, the area where my hostel is located. Tokyo is a massive city consisting of 34 wards (neighborhoods) and just as many millions of people. Not ten minutes away, there is a temple called the Senso-Ji which holds a golden image of Kannon, the Buddhist Goddess of Mercy. The entrance to the temple is through the Kaminarimon or Thunder gate; leading up to that is the Nakamise-dori (dori means street) which is an alley with numerous shops selling everything from kimonos to Lamb-raisin soft serve. There are numerous other shrines, temples, and statues in the area, as well. I found it interesting that, while admiring the golden trim of one temple, an amusement park ride was operating in the distance behind it...contemporary amusement combined with ancient culture. The next day there was actually a fair surrounding the temple; Hagoita-ichi...basically a reason to try local food :)

The weather was rainy and depressing on Wednesday. I borrowed (kinda stole) a Lonely Planet book from the hostel and used it as a guide around Shinjuku; basically an area to get the feel of the city in a short amount of time. Once exiting the subway station, I was immediately surrounded by massive video screens and flashing lights. I ended up walking into Golden Gaiwhich is an area of a few winding alleyways with teeny tiny bars that literally only hold a few people. I went here the other night with Fumiki, Paul's friend (the hostel owner in Karamea, NZ) to a small bar that had room for five stools if our backs were all against the entrance door. He treated me to local food and beer. I tried pickled plums which are...sour but not bad in all honesty. I'd never purchase one for a snack, but Im glad I tried it! This area is basically sitting on top of Tokyo's red-light district, Kabukicho, which is an area filled with "performance" shows and Love motels boasting nightly and "rest" rates. Basically, men come here to cheat on their wives.

On Thursday, the weather was bright and sunny again (yet still cold because it is winter here), so I wondered around the Shibuya area, checking out trinkets and apparently one of the busiest crosswalks in the world. There is also a statue of a dog, the Hachiko statue, which people use as a meeting place outside of the metro station, that was erected in remembrance of a dog that supposedly waited there in the 20's for his master after he died. Sad. From there I wondered around the Imperial Gardens, which were pretty, yet I could see how much more impressive they would have been in the summer when the Cherry Blossoms are in bloom. Finally, I found my way to the Ueno park and onto the Tokyo National Museum. There were plenty of street performers with flutes, guitars, juggling swords, not to mention numerous shrines and statues and even a Zoo!

Today, I got up early and went to the Tsujiki Fish Market; the auction starts at five in the morning, but I went at eight in order to check out all of the food stalls and eat some samples. I consumed the largest oyster I have ever seen. It was delicious (Oishi in Japanese)! Afterwards, I took myself over to Ginza, which is equivelent to NYC's 5th avenue (According to Lonely Planet, and once there I saw why!) boasting every high end shop you could imagine from Hermes and Tiffany's all the way to the Gap (and, of course, Starbucks). I went into the Sony Building which is five levels of hands on techy fun! I wondered around a few more shops before going to apply for my India Visa (keep your fingers crossed that it arrives before my flight!) and headed on back to the hostel!

AKWARD MOMENT

It's back! I had to go to the 7-11 convenience store in order to make passport copies to obtain my visa. Everything is in Japanese symbols and I have no idea how to work the thing (so sad). An older woman helped me out and while I was making copies, a Japanese guy started trying to hit on me. He was extremely awkward and I bolted before anything got any weirder. i was told that no one was going to find me attractive here. Blonde girl+getting hit on in Japan by a japanese boy+7-11 convenience store=....


FOOD CORNER

SQUID BALLS AKA Takoyaki! Originally, I thought these were deep fried balls of doughy deliciousness..however, it turns out that they are actually balls of sticky rice baked in a pan with an entire baby squid inside, tentacles and all. They brush soy sauce over the top and sometimes squirt on a dollop of mayo.

Taste- 4
Aftertaste-1

No comments: